Sunday, June 29, 2008

兰花闪亮BEAM 萌死人不赔命

What the hell is Mikuru Beam when you’ve got “キラッ!”? I’m seriously tempted to switch camps from Sheryl to Ranka. Let’s try to score the both of them based on the songs they’ve been steadily churning out in the past 12 episodes. Songs are scored out of 5; those that got played during battle get a +1 pseudo Minmay Defence bonus.

What ‘bout My Star
Sheryl’s version made a stronger impression on first listen because of the pumping beats, but Ranka’s slower version won it in the end. I liked the bit where she sang without accompaniment at the beginning, the guitar bits were a nice touch too.

Sheryl - 3 points
Ranka - 4 points
+ 1 impromptu street performance

Nyan Nyan CM Jingle
I can’t stop laughing every time I hear “你好娘”. I’ll have to score it low since this is a 20 second joke track, though I enjoyed it plenty.

Ranka – 1 point
+ 1 Nyan Nyan dance

Ninjin Loves you Yeah!
Another catchy joke track. Go eat your veggies.

Ranka – 1 point
+ 1 carrot suit

Iteza Gogo Kyuji Don’t Be Late
Motteke!!!! Sailor fuku dakara desu ← ketsuron

Sheryl – 5 points
+ 1 私の歌を聞け!
+ 1 cleavage-baring bondage suit
+ 1 instant recovery from near-death fall
+ 1 pseudo Minmay Defence
+ 1 for weekly “Motteke!!!!” during sponsors screen

Watashi no Kare wa Pilot
Preferred this version to the original. I’m a Minmay hater.

Ranka – 4 points
+1 pseudo Minmay Defence
+1 cute choreography

Ai wo Oboeteimasuka
Shimokawa Mikuni’s cover was better.

Ranka – 2 points

Welcome to My Fanclub’s Night
Did this song appear in the show? Didn’t leave much of an impression.

Sheryl – 2 points

Eyemo / Eyemo ~ Tori no Hito
癒される…

Ranka – 5 points
+1 Rierie endorsement

Neko Nikki
Nice and lazy song, currently one of my favourites. I was a bit disappointed when it displaced Diamond Crab Ace as the ED though. The show’s focus is shifting away from Sheryl to Ranka and the people in charge are making sure it’s reflected in the CD sales as well.

Ranka – 5 points

Infinity
i think it might have appeared during Sheryl’s farewell concert around Ep 7. Since I don’t remember, it doesn’t qualify for the pseudo Minmay Defence bonus.

Sheryl – 3 points

Seikan Hikou
Go watch Episode 12. Then go stream the dance steps. Start dancing! キラッ!

Ranka – 5 points
+ 5 TRUE Minmay Defence
+ 1 キラッ!

Diamond Crab Ace
My pick for best of Spring 2008. Absolute favourite of the bunch.

Sheryl – 6 points
+1 pseudo Minmay Defence
+1 special service a capella version
+1 for reminding me of some Cantonese song which I can’t remember

Ranka – 1 point (for the 2 lines she sang)

Ecchi Fanservice Bonus
Sheryl gets +5 for going commando, +5 for the wardrobe malfunction and +5 for telling the Princess to go fap to it.

Tally:
Sheryl – 42
Ranka – 40

So Ms. Sheryl Nome barely wins the contest on account of her shamelessness. Sick and dying Sheryl is no fun though, so get well soon, Ms Sheryl! I hope to hear the song she penned on that pair of Zentradi XXXXXL bikini bottoms soon.

Anyway, the biggest winners are May’n and Nakajima Megumi. Who’s heard of May Nakabayashi before this? And Ranka’s a dream debut role. Both of them seriously lucked out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ranka is very cute, but doesn't beat micronized Klan Klan unfortunately. MF songs real nice, I wonder if Macross Zero songs are nice too? Maybe I should find some time and watch that series too...

I like Diamond a lot. Yet to watch MF12.