Monday, July 7, 2008

See what I mean about them not wearing anything below the waist except pantsu?

Kagamisumi has been bragging about his meron-pan experience on MSN recently, so I decided to one-up him and go hunt for some “anime food” myself. (For those who have been broken by Jason, it’s not that kind of meron-pan. I hope.)

There’s some Hokkaido Fair going on in this shopping mall, and I saw dango on the promotion brochure, so I thought I’d go down to have a look. Turned out the fair was quite pathetic and packed full of aunties who were bored enough to go shopping on a weekday morning. All I wanted was dango, which I realized was quite dumb, since the bus trip almost cost me more than the dango. Crap. Anyway, after queuing for half an hour I had a stick of tri-coloured hanami dango. Yay. They looked like this (pic stolen from most reliable source on the internet):


As I couldn’t sing with my mouth full, I hummed the dango song while I ate. The taste was pretty good, but nothing special, tasted like mochi with red bean paste filling. Actually, it was mochi with red bean paste since they’re all made from glutinous rice flour. Never mind.

Then yesterday I got dragged on a trip to some Japanese supermarket all the way in town, supposedly to decode the chicken scratch on the packaging. My mistranslation was not needed after all, since when it came to grocery, the pictures were pretty self explanatory. Saw a lot of Japanese expats/tourists around. And these as well:


Mame daifuku, favourite food of Suzu from Nagasarete Airantou. Made from glutinous rice too, so it tasted exactly like a giant dango.


Doraemon’s namesake. Interesting how the connection was lost in the Chinese translation that I grew up on (小叮当 / 哆啦A梦). Disappointingly, it’s just pancake with red bean filling, and there was a strong smell of eggs. It wasn’t too bad; I was just expecting something more special.

Guess the only anime food obsession I can truly understand is gyudon. It’s one of the best things there are, besides curry rice (the South-east Asian kind). Mai has good tastes in both food and yuri companion.

So what other anime food fetishes shall I experience next?

Sukonbu? Maybe.

Oh no. No, Tailbone Cake on my table please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahaha! Pan Pan Pan Pan Meron-Pan!! Meron-Pan! Meron-Pan! Meron-Pan!!! Kyu kyu kyu kyukyukyukyu kyu!

DbD the Darry is the Darry in TTGL right! Super underrated character. Suddenly I have more pics of her than Nia (which still stands at ZERO)... :(

Tried mochis before, wasn't too special. Usually those sold outside are way too sweet. Need to try dangos and daifukus one day, when time, venue and wallet permits me.

Gyudon rocks. Had a HK-style gyudon today hahaha. Yummy! The gyudon at Food Republic at Wisma is super shiok, esp. the mixed parts one (yummy!) $6 I think, but worth it.

What is Tailbone cake, and what does that have to do with ecchi anime? Wait, maybe I don't want to know. Haha.