Monday, August 11, 2008

眠れない...

Weekends are shitty. I look forward to them but somehow they always ends up shitty. Once again, I am suffering from insomnia this week.

Time to blog.

Tamura failed to defend her -48kg title. Oh well, it happens. Haven’t been keeping up with Judo news in recent years, but the Olympics is one of the rare occasions when I get news about unsexy sports like Judo in the papers. Tamura Ryouko was one of those inspirational players whose videos I had studied so closely the images would remain in my mind long after the great-grandchildren of my brand new Seagate External Hdd have failed and gone to hardware heaven. I’m surprised she’s still in the sport though. I remember having read a research paper that said judokas have much shorter careers than kendo players bcos of the shorter “engagement distance”. Since a judo match is fought at closer distances than kendo (you can smell your opponent’s unwashed gi), players need quicker reflexes to stay competitive.


As seen above, with increasing age, the advantage from higher EXP lvls is countered by a decreasing Reflex Stat. Judokas usually peak around age 25, whereas kendokas remain competitive into their 30s. Btw, last season’s S-League top scorer was 39, but I think that has got more to do with foreign talent pwning the local players. Hmm, Tamura won her first Olympic medal in Barcelona at 16. That makes her 32. Maybe she should join her fellow Tamura in the Forever-17 Club. Oh ya, she got married and is known as Tani Ryouko now. Can’t stop calling her Tamura though; old people like me are stubborn.


Live Action Azumanga Daioh!!!

Ya, I know it’s a hoax. Been looking for this pic since I read about it on the most reliable source on the Internet. The link on wiki is broken though. (edit: Was broken. Someone fixed it within the last 2 years or so while I wasn’t looking.)

The (fake) actresses for Chiyo-chan and Tomo would have been great for their roles, they fit the images of the characters to a T. Sakaki looks too “mature”. And the boobs are not American, at most a Hawaii. Kagura is cute and sporty but doesn’t look like Kagura; not dark enough. Yomi doesn’t look bookish at all, the glasses feel like props somehow. Plus, she’s not chubby enough. Doesn’t look like a tsukkomi chara either. Osaka is just plain irreplaceable.

Now I start yawning. Great.
Are you thinking what i'm thinking, B1?
I think I am, B2.
It’s drop dead at work time.

No comments: