Sunday, November 18, 2007

KGNE - Kimi Ga Nozomu Ero-game

Let’s talk about mecha and moe. I mentioned the last time that if I wanted mecha and moe in one neat little package I’d go for the sequel to Blue Flow. Actually there’s this one other game that I’ve been dying to play for some time. Since I’m lazy, let’s quote the most reliable source on the Internet word for word:

“Muv-Luv (マブラヴ, Maburavu?) series are an Japanese adventure games for the PC by âge. It is later adapted into fandiscs, comics, and novels.”

I think I saw at least 2 grammatical mistakes in that quote. Basically Muvluv is a ren-ai game that has prawn in it. Btw, it’s probably all these wiki links that got my blog marked as spam and shut down for 5 days. “False positive” they said. Their bot probably has a sensitivity of 99.99% and a specificity of 6.02x10^23%.

Question:
1) What does that say about the positive predictive value (if it does say anything)?
2) Is it possible to calculate the positive and negative predictive values using the given information?
3) Is it suitable as a screening or a diagnostic test? Or neither?
4) What is the gold standard for diagnosing spam blogs?

And while you’re at it, here’s some service:

Before we get sidetracked any further, I was first introduced to this series through the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien anime (aka Rumbling Hearts). Both are by âge and are set in the same universe, with Muvluv being some sort of pseudo sequel to KGNE. Ok, I just realized that saying they’re set in the same universe is quite problematic. I’ll explain shortly. (Meaning in as few words as I can.)


The first part of the series is Muvluv Extra. Heck, I’ll quote the most reliable source on the Internet:

“Muv-Luv Extra (マブラヴ エクストラ, Maburau Ekusutora?), the main part of Muv-Luv, takes place in the same world (and general area) as Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and Kimi ga Ita Kisetsu”.

“Pretty much a standard love comedy, only weirder.”

No Mecha here.

The next part is Muvluv Unlimited, which is unlocked after you get the prawn CGs of the two main girls of Muvluv Extra.


“Muv-Luv Unlimited (マブラヴ アンリミテッド, Muv-Luv Unlimited ?) takes place in an alternate world to Extra, where aliens called BETA… have invaded and mankind fights back against the alien aggressors with giant robots…”

In other words Extra’s protagonist Takeru finds himself in another universe where humans are at war with aliens. He is still surrounded by his moe classmates, who are now his fellow cadets in BMT. That’s where the mecha come in.

The Imperial Guard’s Takemikazuchi (pictured above) reminds me of Eva-01. I like the way the feet actually consists of separate rays of “skeleton” like human feet though it could use a few more toes. It can probably tango much better than the Gundams which all have flat slabs of metal for feet. Another mecha game/anime with nice feet is Gunparade March. And it’s got cute girls too. Hmmm… Maybe I’ll write something about Gunparade next time.


“Muv-Luv Alternative (マブラヴ オルタネイティブ, Muv-Luv Alternative ?) is a sequel to the first Muv-Luv game, taking place after the events of Unlimited (to Takeru, at least).”

The third part is Muvluv Alternative. You have to buy this one seperately from the other two unless the most popular local bookstore decides to bundle the whole lot together in a discount package like they did for Diablo, Diablo II and Lords of Destruction. (That’s just an example; Muvluv is not available at the most popular local bookstore the last time I checked. They do carry some ren-ai (prawn?) games though; they’re usually placed right beside the Teletubbies and Pokemon VCDs.)

Then there are the fandiscs and side-stories which you can read about at the most reliable source on the Internet.

This picture reminds me of Kyou no Go no Ni.

I can’t really comment on the gameplay or production values since I’ve not played the game. But the story is interesting and the characters are quite lovable. This I know from reading the Unlimited manga. I have yet to get down to reading the Extra manga (which comes first chronologically) ‘cos the characters look deformed and there’s no mecha. I already knew the characters from Akane Maniax and Ayu Mayu Gekijou so skipping the first part wasn’t that confusing though there’s no doubt I would have missed important plot points.

Anyway, here’s the cute cast:


From left to right,

Mikoto (Green hair – Actually some people insist this colour is blue.)
Takeru’s gaming buddy in Extra. Was a guy in Extra, became female in Unlimited’s alternate universe but forgot to grow boobs.

Chizuru (Meganekko)
The class rep in Extra, and platoon I/C in Unlimited. She seemed like the typical iinchou character. Has a prominent role in Akane Maniax as she’s a good friend of Akane but didn’t get developed much in the Unlimited manga. (The manga didn’t go her route.)

Meiya (Blue hair in a weird-but-still-criminal pony tail.)
One of the 2 main girls in Extra. She’s some rich ojou-san in Extra and the Shogun’s twin sister in Unlimited. This makes her a white horse in the army. Acts serious, but still cute. My favourite character. The Unlimited manga went her route.

Yuuhi (Purple hair in the same weird-but-still-criminal pony tail.)
Appears only in Alternative, which means I know nothing about her besides she’s the Shogun and Meiya’s twin sister. I like her design though.

Kasumi (Usagi-mimi)
Appears only in Unlimited and Alternative. In Unlimited, she’s a mysterious girl who appears a bit autistic or something, doesn’t talk. Pretty much like Shuffle’s Primula.

Sumika (Red-head)
The other main girl in Extra. Doesn’t appear in Unlimited so I know nuts about her. She seems like The Clingy Osananajimi based on what I gathered from Akane Maniax. I do not like clingy osananajimis.

Tamaki (Nekomimi)
The class/platoon pet, with the associated “kawainess”. Nicknamed Tama. (There’s a squad pet Tama in Blue Flow too…) Elite sniper, managed to shoot down a space shuttle from the ground. (The other Tama is just ruined for marriage, but I’m sure you can ruin this Tama for marriage too.)

Kei (Black Hair)
About as random as the Tiamaat/Wilhelmina combo. Strangely amusing.

There are quite a few other interesting characters that aren’t in there but I’m too lazy to find nice pics for them.


The soundtrack is good, at least for Alternative. The BGM’s sound like they would complement the game. The battle themes are kind of exciting and I imagine they would be able to get your heart rate going when combined with the battle scenes. And I think the militaristic marches fit in well with the “World at War” mood of Alternative.

The vocal songs are good too. マブラブ紫音未来への咆哮 and NAME ~君の名は~ are all permanently on my playlist. Actually 紫音 isn’t on my playlist because I can’t find a copy that can go into my Zen Microphoto. Any help is appreciated.

Remember to visit the youtube links for the songs, they’re really good hot-blooded songs that go well with exciting mecha action. Except マブラブ which has a melody that doesn’t go well with mecha but is still nice. Come to think of it, it’s one of the songs I used to learn Jap.

Well, there’s nothing much left to say so let’s just spam pictures. Now they can rightfully call this a spam blog.


Characters from KGNE that appear in Alternative. The ponytail is Mitsuki and the white ribbon is Suzumiya Haru… ka, the 2 female leads of KGNE. I love their staff uniform, it looks so slick and professional, unlike the one I had to wear so long ago. Then again you’ll probably have truckloads of clerks and scholar officers dying of heatstroke if the army adopted this uniform. But I really wouldn’t mind seeing a few of my female ex-colleagues in this outfit though… haha… they’re so going to kill me if they read this.

The one in the pilot suit is Suzumiya Akane, star of Akane Maniax. FYI, the purple parts of her suit were originally transparent since this is a prawn game after all, but they coloured it in for the All-ages release of the game. I’m glad they did, because the transparent suit just looks ridiculous.


What is it with twins and purple hair? This is the third set I’ve come across.

Mitsuki…

…and Meiya. Don’t you think they look alike?


She’s a ninja meido who serves Meiya’s clan. She doesn’t look like a proper meido here because she’s also an officer of the Imperial Guard. Maria should brush up on her mecha piloting skills or she’ll get overtaken soon.


Slumber party…

… and the morning after. Ruined for marriage.

Dear Koubuin Yuuhi-san,

I have been looking at you from afar for the longest time. You are the most beautiful lady I have ever seen in my entire life. You are my Goddess. I know I said the same about your sister. The truth is I have mistaken her for you this entire time. Honest. I swear the both of you must have been derived from the same embryo.

I would really like to get to know you better, so would you please go on a date with me? I won’t mind if your sister would like to tag along as well. Please date me or I’ll have to commit seppuku like an apoptotic white progenitor cell. Thank you for reading my rabu-reta, and I look forward to a favourable reply from you

Yours sincerely,
ZeoiNagePotato

p.s. Even if you must say “no”, can you at least introduce me to your sister?


Kasumi. 8D

Kasumi. ¦ 3

Kasumi!!!

Kasumi RIP.

Lastly, here’s hoping someone decides to translate this game into some language I can handle and release it in stores here. Or somewhere else, doesn’t matter as long as I can get it somehow. Or at least make a Muvluv anime. I can’t believe KGNE is getting an alternate ending OVA this Dec but there’s no Muvluv!!!

This is sad.



1 comment:

Kael-kun said...

"Sumika (Red-head)
The other main girl in Extra. Doesn’t appear in Unlimited so I know nuts about her. She seems like The Clingy Osananajimi based on what I gathered from Akane Maniax. I do not like clingy osananajimis."
Right on, Sumika's annoying as fuck. Incidentally, I dunno if you know this yet but Muv Luv's being translated. Partial patch for Extra has been released, with both main routes, Sumika and Meiya translated. I normally like the Osananajimi's but Sumika's the first for me to hate. anyway, based on some of your other posts I'm assuming there's a possibility you can actually read JP, so I dunno if this matters to you or not. Sadly, you NEED to beat both Meiya and Sumika's route to unlock Unlimited.