Thursday, March 27, 2008

Evangelion: 1.0 You Are [Not] Alone

Watched the new Eva movie yesterday with my old Chemistry tutor (henceforth referred to as Nikuman), who has never heard of Evangelion before. I was kind of worried that the movie would bore me if it was just a recap, but thankfully the pacing was quick enough to keep things interesting. And the new look angels were rather awesome, especially that cube guy (I forget its name. It’s been what, 10 years?). The spruced up action scenes were great too (Loved Unit 01 with the gatling gun. Brings back memories of KOSMOS.) The plot, on the other hand, was just as confusing as before. I’ll illustrate this point using my conversation with Nikuman after the movie.

Me: You were sleeping just now.
Nikuman (who had slept only 1.5 hours the previous night): Yeah, for a bit at the beginning. The action scenes were good.
Me (staring at the screen as the cast list rolled): I never knew Ohara Sayaka was in this.
Nikuman: Who?
Me: Never mind.
Nikuman: Why didn’t they kill the thing locked underground?
Me: The Evas were cloned from that.
Nikuman: They could have killed it after cloning the Evas.
Me: I dunno.
Nikuman: Why are the angels attacking humans?
Me: I dunno.
Nikuman: Who’s the guy at the end?
Me: He’s an angel.
Nikuman: So the angels came from that planet?
Me: I dunno. That scene wasn’t in the original.
Nikuman: So how did the original end?
Me: I dunno. I think everyone died but no one knows for sure.
Nikuman: So I’m not the only one who doesn’t get the plot?
Me: Ya, I think so.

That said, it’d not actually as bad as I have just made it out to be. Since this is just the 1st installment in a series of four movies, there’s still plenty of room to flesh out the plot and explain some mysteries. And there were already hints in this one that they’re going to finally unravel the mystery behind the angels and Human Instrumentality. Some clues that weren’t in the original include the revelation that Lilith had made some kind of deal with Nerv, and that Shinji is being deliberately driven towards Rei by the Nerv commanders. Can’t wait for the next movie.

Btw, I just saw this on ANN. This is like reading about Kyoani giving us an instant Clannad remake with enhanced CG starfishes instead of the After-story or Tomoyo H-OVA.

And if you're lurking around on my blog, Nikuman, i'd appreciate it if you said hi or something so i know whether i can badmouth you in the future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

EVA... Hmmm is eva whole series so confusing? I thought it is rather... popular... On my to-watch list one fine day.

Clannad Season 2!!!!

Anonymous said...

Haha :P ... yap yap ... the still confused Nikuman is here ... btw what is niku ?

ZeoiNagePotato said...

@kagamisumi: The problem with the original TV run was that it left too many questions unanswered. Otherwise, it's an awesome show with great action and epic tsundere as well as Nagato's Great-grand-sempai Ayanami. You can even do lots of philosophical contemplation of your navel if you're into that kind of thing. I think you can skip the TV series and go straight to the movie if you want. It's a pretty good summary.

@nikuman: Niku means meat in Japanese. The kanji for nikuman is 肉まん(Meat bun). If i had deluded you into thinking you were some super-hero like Spiderman or Batman, i apologise. =p

ZeoiNagePotato said...

YES!!! CLANNAD SEASON 2!!!

NAGISA'S GRUESOME DEATH!!!!

Time to change wallpapers again.