Friday, April 11, 2008

First Impressions Part 2

Macross Frontier
Loving it. CG dogfights were great. Macross Zero did better in this department, but that was an OVA, not a fair comparison. I was just worrying if the new mecha had developed Strike Freedom-itis when all the bulky fat bits fell off to reveal the sleek machine underneath. Woohoo!

I was missing large chunks of Macross history btw the first season and this one, but I think it won’t affect my enjoyment of the series. The 50sec narration at the beginning more or less summarizes the story up to this point. Tanaka Rie has yet to appear, so it can only get better. I just hope this doesn’t degenerate into a plastic model informercial too soon.

Vampire Knight
The beginning scene in the snow with Horie Yui’s voiceover made me think of Uguu falling off a tree. My main complaint is too many pretty guys. With that kind of setup, the sole girl has got to be one hell of an awesome character to balance things out, like Shuurei in Saiunkoku. Horie’s Yuki might be able to pull it off, we’ll see. Nothing much happened in the first ep, I’ll give it a few more.

Monochrome Factor
Some comedy, mostly gay. Definitely won’t be watching this for the action, rather mediocre in that aspect. Shirogane is too pretty. I’m sure they just slapped a male seiyuu on a female character. And some gay kissing got censored with bright lights. I might consider watching this without audio so I can pretend Shirogane’s a gorgeous onee-san. That would instantly improve this show by 1000%.

Neo Angelique Abyss
This is showing on local TV btw, just 2 days after the Japanese broadcast. Takes over Monsters’ timeslot on Wednesday nights. Another reverse harem show, so most of what I said for Vampire Knight applies to this one too. The sole girl Angelique is voiced by Endo Aya, who played Miyuki in Raki Suta.

Yet to watch a few more shows from the past week and more shows are starting this week already. I need sleep.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh... I definitely lost 10 IQ points after Zettai Karen Children... =_="

Thank goodness SA saved 5 points back for me. Just that the art isn't that fantastic, rather similar to Code Geass with lanky ultra-slim anorexic S. Sun-esque bodies. Story isn't captivating yet, but hoping for better storyline soon.

ZeoiNagePotato said...

Screw SA, watch Library War!