Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Late Night TV + Anime in My Taiwan Drama

There are "Late Night" versions of Kamen no Meido Guy and Soul Eater floating around. I've seen the first Ep for both. Soul Eater's only had extra scenes in the next ep preview, meaning the real fanservice will be in ep2, if there's any at all. Meido Guy's had quite a few changes, basically we see more pantsu and nipples, upgrading it to NC-16 level.

I'll probably follow the uncensored version for Soul Eater. It's the same philosophy I adopted with Clannad 4:3 vs widescreen. No harm seeing more of a good thing.

Won't be doing the same for Meido Guy though. Not many releases for the raunchier version plus there's a delay of a week or so. Frankly, i don't think uncensoring the show adds much value since it's smutty enough to begin with. And if my monitor's going to be plastered with images of pantsu i'd rather be hearing Maimami and Ayako's voices than Koyama Rikiya's.

Btw, just watched a bit of The Switch on Crunchy. Ah, the nostalgia. This show is one of the Taiwanese dramas that i actually enjoyed. Zhang Ting's a riot. And guess what, the vids on Crunchy were recorded off TCS8, or whatever Channel 8 used to be called.

I didn't realise this at first, but some Crunchy users pointed out that the first ep featured a BGM stolen from Kenshin's soundtrack. Not surprising, Taiwan/Hongkong dramas are always doing this. For instance, I've lost count of the number of times i've heard Ashitaka's Theme from Mononoke Hime while watching some drama. Season 2 or 3 of My Date with a Vampire very blatantly ripped Liberi Fatali from FFVIII and i don't remember them giving credit to Uematsu Nobuo. This auntie aquaintance of mine once off-handedly commented that this wuxia show 飞龙在天 had great music; in my head i was thinking of course it has great music, the Shenmue guys put money and effort into creating original music for their game. Then there's the fiasco over some cockster plagiarizing my favourite Key OP. Best thing is, they can pull all this off and the average audience would be none the wiser (or just plain don't give a damn even if they knew).

I think all this points to a lack of respect for the anime and game culture in mainstream Chinese media. This is copyright infringement on a different level compared to fansubs. Fansubbing would be like me stealing pics of Rie Rie from her blog and posting them here for worshipping purposes. To be on par with shows that use plagiarised music, i'd have to steal pics of Rie Rie from her blog, boast that she's my girlfriend/mistress, maybe photoshop her face over some gravure idol's and charge $$$ for viewing my blog.

Having said that, i'm not really as pissed about this as i might have sounded. I was just in the mood for a rant, i.e. i was bored. As much as i feel that they shouldn't have done what they did, i'm actually quite excited whenever i recognise a familiar game or anime tune on TV. Anyway, all those examples that i have pointed out are rather dated since i haven't been watching Chinese drama for the past few years; maybe things have changed.

Damn, now i feel guilty about koping Rie's pics. Maybe i'll just hide them in my hidden RieRie Folder from now on. But the urge to share the joy of Rie worshipping is just so strong. Oh crap, from now on i'll just be nicer to those evangelists who annoy me to no end with their spiel about me going to hell. There's no need to remind me, i know i'm going to hell. I thoroughly enjoyed every single episode of Kyou no 5-2.

No comments: